Omid Distant Drummer
- Words: DJ Anna
- Label: Beneath The Surface
This long awaited solo debut by LA underground producer Omid (who also records as O.D.) on his own Beneath the Surface label is a solid collection of instrumental hip-hop tracks. From the demonic distorted bassline of "The Sad King" to the frantic drums of "Island Covenant" and the sad Arabic strains of "Ease in the Middle Piece," it becomes obvious that the man knows his way around a sampler. But while Distant Drummer brings the beats, it's not entirely groundbreaking, at least not as amazing as some of Omid's production for emcees like Busdriver and Freestyle Fellowship. While the songs don't always achieve the depth or scope of, dare I say, a DJ Shadow piece, they do exist as lovely and moving soundscapes, and Omid proves himself to be a technically awesome electronic composer.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player