Omid Distant Drummer
- Words: DJ Anna
- Label: Beneath The Surface
This long awaited solo debut by LA underground producer Omid (who also records as O.D.) on his own Beneath the Surface label is a solid collection of instrumental hip-hop tracks. From the demonic distorted bassline of "The Sad King" to the frantic drums of "Island Covenant" and the sad Arabic strains of "Ease in the Middle Piece," it becomes obvious that the man knows his way around a sampler. But while Distant Drummer brings the beats, it's not entirely groundbreaking, at least not as amazing as some of Omid's production for emcees like Busdriver and Freestyle Fellowship. While the songs don't always achieve the depth or scope of, dare I say, a DJ Shadow piece, they do exist as lovely and moving soundscapes, and Omid proves himself to be a technically awesome electronic composer.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player