One Be Lo The R.E.B.I.R.T.H.
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Subterraneous
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Michigan-based One Be Lo is an incredibly versatile rapper, and he displays his talent well on his latest, The R.E.B.I.R.T.H. Whether kicking battle rhymes (“Smash”), writing vivid narratives (“Headlines”), or repping his state (“Born & Raised”), his wordplay is more than engaging. But his productions and song construction are extremely weak: Cliché dialogue samples, generic hooks, and sub-par beats plague at least 10 of the 12 tracks. “Hip-Hop Heaven” is as predictable as it sounds, while “Don’t Sleep” might have reverse effects. One Be Lo may be one of underground hip-hop’s brightest, but The R.E.B.I.R.T.H. has huge flaws that detract from his obvious talent.
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- NewsWatch a Live Performance of Jacques Greene's New Single
XLR8R Downloads Player