One Be Lo The R.E.B.I.R.T.H.
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Subterraneous
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Michigan-based One Be Lo is an incredibly versatile rapper, and he displays his talent well on his latest, The R.E.B.I.R.T.H. Whether kicking battle rhymes (“Smash”), writing vivid narratives (“Headlines”), or repping his state (“Born & Raised”), his wordplay is more than engaging. But his productions and song construction are extremely weak: Cliché dialogue samples, generic hooks, and sub-par beats plague at least 10 of the 12 tracks. “Hip-Hop Heaven” is as predictable as it sounds, while “Don’t Sleep” might have reverse effects. One Be Lo may be one of underground hip-hop’s brightest, but The R.E.B.I.R.T.H. has huge flaws that detract from his obvious talent.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- NewsLivity Sound Preps Remix Compilation Featuring Surgeon, Pangaea, and More
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player