One Be Lo The R.E.B.I.R.T.H.
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Subterraneous
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Michigan-based One Be Lo is an incredibly versatile rapper, and he displays his talent well on his latest, The R.E.B.I.R.T.H. Whether kicking battle rhymes (“Smash”), writing vivid narratives (“Headlines”), or repping his state (“Born & Raised”), his wordplay is more than engaging. But his productions and song construction are extremely weak: Cliché dialogue samples, generic hooks, and sub-par beats plague at least 10 of the 12 tracks. “Hip-Hop Heaven” is as predictable as it sounds, while “Don’t Sleep” might have reverse effects. One Be Lo may be one of underground hip-hop’s brightest, but The R.E.B.I.R.T.H. has huge flaws that detract from his obvious talent.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
XLR8R Downloads Player