One Be Lo The R.E.B.I.R.T.H.
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Subterraneous
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Michigan-based One Be Lo is an incredibly versatile rapper, and he displays his talent well on his latest, The R.E.B.I.R.T.H. Whether kicking battle rhymes (“Smash”), writing vivid narratives (“Headlines”), or repping his state (“Born & Raised”), his wordplay is more than engaging. But his productions and song construction are extremely weak: Cliché dialogue samples, generic hooks, and sub-par beats plague at least 10 of the 12 tracks. “Hip-Hop Heaven” is as predictable as it sounds, while “Don’t Sleep” might have reverse effects. One Be Lo may be one of underground hip-hop’s brightest, but The R.E.B.I.R.T.H. has huge flaws that detract from his obvious talent.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player