The Opus Breathing Lessons
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Mush
The Opus's debut, 2002's First Contact 001, hinted at the underground hip-hop duo's weird approach, but it still seemed too indebted to DJs Premier and Shadow. On Breathing Lessons, Chicago's Mr. Echoes and the Isle Of Weight instantly submerge you in their mysterious, subterranean world with a down-pitched, seesawing sitar loop, trippy Moog emissions and martial-funk beats. Next level duly achieved, the Opus continues to flaunt their genius for bizarre samples, elevating hip-hop into a dystopian sci-fi future that sounds oddly thrilling. Supernaturally dark, warped and peculiarly funky, Breathing Lessons furthers hip-hop's ongoing and welcome psychedelic renovation.
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsDJ Sprinkles Plans Brief North American Tour
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsRoman Flügel Shares New Track from Upcoming LP
XLR8R Downloads Player