Orgone The Killion Floor
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Ubiquity
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Sounding much like a cross between The Dap-Kings and Breakestra (with whom they share several members), L.A.’s Orgone keeps the hotness of the recent retro-soul revival coming; lead singer Fanny Franklin fits in very nicely between Sharon Jones and Amy Winehouse. As befits the band’s name, Orgone’s sound is quite organic, rooted in soul, funk, boogaloo, and jazz, with a classic appeal that’s nevertheless contemporary. Covers of “Funky Nassau,” “Do Your Thing,” and “I Get Lifted” serve as touchstones for originals like “Sophisticated Honky” and “Dialed Up”; basically, the entire album is one non-stop groove. If smooth, soulful funk with jazzy arrangements makes you sweat, you just found your new favorite band.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player