The Oscillation Out of Phase
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: DC Recordings
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
For better or worse, Demian Castellanos’ predominantly instrumental project, The Oscillation, is hard to quantify, and therein breeds the madness. On Out of Phase, Castellanos undulates jelly-drunk around several fairly recognizable stylistic touchstones, but before you can decide whether to shriek “Happy Mondays!” or “Jesus & Mary Chain!,” he’s flitted away with a dub-happy flick of an effects pedal. It makes for a neat bit of Madchester-sounding head trippery, but to what end? For all Castellanos’ obvious self-assuredness with his various instruments, it’s hard to say if he has a clear trajectory in mind.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player