The Oscillation Out of Phase
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: DC Recordings
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
For better or worse, Demian Castellanos’ predominantly instrumental project, The Oscillation, is hard to quantify, and therein breeds the madness. On Out of Phase, Castellanos undulates jelly-drunk around several fairly recognizable stylistic touchstones, but before you can decide whether to shriek “Happy Mondays!” or “Jesus & Mary Chain!,” he’s flitted away with a dub-happy flick of an effects pedal. It makes for a neat bit of Madchester-sounding head trippery, but to what end? For all Castellanos’ obvious self-assuredness with his various instruments, it’s hard to say if he has a clear trajectory in mind.
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player