The Oscillation Out of Phase
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: DC Recordings
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
For better or worse, Demian Castellanos’ predominantly instrumental project, The Oscillation, is hard to quantify, and therein breeds the madness. On Out of Phase, Castellanos undulates jelly-drunk around several fairly recognizable stylistic touchstones, but before you can decide whether to shriek “Happy Mondays!” or “Jesus & Mary Chain!,” he’s flitted away with a dub-happy flick of an effects pedal. It makes for a neat bit of Madchester-sounding head trippery, but to what end? For all Castellanos’ obvious self-assuredness with his various instruments, it’s hard to say if he has a clear trajectory in mind.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player