Otaku No Denki The Future Played Backwards
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Viper
Though their name suggests otherwise, Otaku No Denki is not a Japanese girl band, but a trio of white guys (Chris McCabe, Joey Cannon and Dean Salleyman) from Liverpool. The confusion is understandable, since the futuristic playfulness of their first album, The Future Played Backwards, would feel right at home in a neon-lit Tokyo pachinko parlor. The tinny synth melodies of "Calculator" and "My First Telescope" are bright and shiny like pennies on the tongue, and even the moody "Tower" can't fully escape Otaku No Denki's computer-generated optimism. The Future... is like one big nod to Kraftwerk's 1981 epic, Computer World.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player