Otaku No Denki The Future Played Backwards
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Viper
Though their name suggests otherwise, Otaku No Denki is not a Japanese girl band, but a trio of white guys (Chris McCabe, Joey Cannon and Dean Salleyman) from Liverpool. The confusion is understandable, since the futuristic playfulness of their first album, The Future Played Backwards, would feel right at home in a neon-lit Tokyo pachinko parlor. The tinny synth melodies of "Calculator" and "My First Telescope" are bright and shiny like pennies on the tongue, and even the moody "Tower" can't fully escape Otaku No Denki's computer-generated optimism. The Future... is like one big nod to Kraftwerk's 1981 epic, Computer World.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player