The Out Circuit Pierce the Empire With a New Sound
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Lujo
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
The Out Circuit is the shoegaze/hardcore project of Frodus bassist Nathan Burke. Pierce the Empire With a New Sound is his first record since 2003, and boasts collaborations with members of Thrice and Roadside Monument. Opener “Come Out Shooting” attempts to do just that, adding synths to a Refused-style jam, while “Across the Light” utilizes layers of ambient sounds with dreamy keyboards. Due to inconsistency in sound and slickly produced vocals, however, much of the album comes across cheesy, particularly the near-goth “Passchendaele” and the adult-contemporary-feeling “We.” Despite a handful of solid ideas, Pierce the Empire is ultimately a pet project for a select indie audience.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player