The Out Circuit Pierce the Empire With a New Sound
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Lujo
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
The Out Circuit is the shoegaze/hardcore project of Frodus bassist Nathan Burke. Pierce the Empire With a New Sound is his first record since 2003, and boasts collaborations with members of Thrice and Roadside Monument. Opener “Come Out Shooting” attempts to do just that, adding synths to a Refused-style jam, while “Across the Light” utilizes layers of ambient sounds with dreamy keyboards. Due to inconsistency in sound and slickly produced vocals, however, much of the album comes across cheesy, particularly the near-goth “Passchendaele” and the adult-contemporary-feeling “We.” Despite a handful of solid ideas, Pierce the Empire is ultimately a pet project for a select indie audience.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player