The Pains of Being Pure at Heart The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
- Words: Chris Sabbath
- Label: Slumberland
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Oh, sweet joy! The Pains of Being Pure at Heart—one of several surprise hit makers to round out the incoming class of 2K8 with its Everything With You 7”—has finally graced us with this prize of a full-length debut and I’m loving every second of it. With their boy/girl bright-eyed vocals and bursts of jangly guitars, “Contender” and “Come Saturday” resuscitate the spirit of late-’80s noisy dream-pop from pre-Creation MBV, Pale Saints, and Chapterhouse. Other songs like “Stay Alive” and “Hey Paul” teem with warm, fuzzy melodies throughout. This album is hopefully just the beginning of many more pop gems to come from this adorable bunch.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
XLR8R Downloads Player