The Pains of Being Pure at Heart The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
- Words: Chris Sabbath
- Label: Slumberland
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Oh, sweet joy! The Pains of Being Pure at Heart—one of several surprise hit makers to round out the incoming class of 2K8 with its Everything With You 7”—has finally graced us with this prize of a full-length debut and I’m loving every second of it. With their boy/girl bright-eyed vocals and bursts of jangly guitars, “Contender” and “Come Saturday” resuscitate the spirit of late-’80s noisy dream-pop from pre-Creation MBV, Pale Saints, and Chapterhouse. Other songs like “Stay Alive” and “Hey Paul” teem with warm, fuzzy melodies throughout. This album is hopefully just the beginning of many more pop gems to come from this adorable bunch.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player