The Pains of Being Pure at Heart The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
- Words: Chris Sabbath
- Label: Slumberland
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Oh, sweet joy! The Pains of Being Pure at Heart—one of several surprise hit makers to round out the incoming class of 2K8 with its Everything With You 7”—has finally graced us with this prize of a full-length debut and I’m loving every second of it. With their boy/girl bright-eyed vocals and bursts of jangly guitars, “Contender” and “Come Saturday” resuscitate the spirit of late-’80s noisy dream-pop from pre-Creation MBV, Pale Saints, and Chapterhouse. Other songs like “Stay Alive” and “Hey Paul” teem with warm, fuzzy melodies throughout. This album is hopefully just the beginning of many more pop gems to come from this adorable bunch.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player