Panther 14 Kt God
- Words: Michael Byrne
- Label: Kill Rock Stars
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Maybe Charlie Salas-Humara didn't know people were already taking him plenty seriously as a huffed-gas busted-soul spazzoid when he retooled his joke-cum-primary project Panther this past year. Gone are the broken falsetto yawls, drunk beats, and general devil-may-care dance music for the clinically insane or people who have no idea what dance music is supposed to be. Gone is that gleeful sense of wreckage but, in its place, is something far more fully formed. Notably, this release, Panther’s third, includes live drumming, courtesy of 31 Knots’ Joe Kelly, impressive cello workouts, and perhaps even more so, Salas-Humara’s singing voice, a surprisingly smooth thing–reverbed heavily here–when it’s not being punished.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player