Panther 14 Kt God
- Words: Michael Byrne
- Label: Kill Rock Stars
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Maybe Charlie Salas-Humara didn't know people were already taking him plenty seriously as a huffed-gas busted-soul spazzoid when he retooled his joke-cum-primary project Panther this past year. Gone are the broken falsetto yawls, drunk beats, and general devil-may-care dance music for the clinically insane or people who have no idea what dance music is supposed to be. Gone is that gleeful sense of wreckage but, in its place, is something far more fully formed. Notably, this release, Panther’s third, includes live drumming, courtesy of 31 Knots’ Joe Kelly, impressive cello workouts, and perhaps even more so, Salas-Humara’s singing voice, a surprisingly smooth thing–reverbed heavily here–when it’s not being punished.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player