Panther Secret Lawns
- Words: Ken Taylor
- Label: Fryk Beat
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
The one-man band about Portland known as Panther (a.k.a. Charlie Salas-Humara) receives some shit-hot accolades. "Best fucking band I've ever seen," raved Portland's alt weekly, and the writer was probably right. These 13 songs go by in 30 minutes, much like a live Stooges album-unrivaled in its hyper pace, guttural wails, and sheer frenetic energy. But Panther also has pop songwriting chops; when he doesn't, he punctuates his over-the-top falsetto with shouts of "Muthafucka!" to confound and evoke epic laughter, as he does on the disc's gem, "You Don't Want Yr Nails Done." Elsewhere, tracks like "How Does it Feel?" are nothing like the Velvet Underground or Avril Lavigne songs of the same name, but rather run headlong into synth-horn and drum-machine shakedowns full of Prince-octave squeals and cryptic-yet-playful lyrics. Everyone's forgotten about Beck, and it's probably for the better-it's Panther's time to shine.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player