Papercuts You Can Have What You Want
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Gnomonsong
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
You Can Have What You Want is a daydream of a record—a hazy mix of L.A.’s early-’70s singer-songwriters and the Creation Records catalog, its 10 tracks held aloft by swaths of dusty organ and Jason Quever’s shimmering, reverb-drenched tenor. Papercuts’ third LP is very much a product of its influences—Grizzly Bear and Vetiver’s Andy Cabic are thanked in the liner notes, and Alex Scally of Beach House (with whom Papercuts have toured) helped out with the arrangements. Nevertheless, Quever carves out some room for himself away from the dream-pop masses. With a couple listens, the queasy melodies lurking around the edges of “The Machine Will Tell Us So” and “Dead Love” may never leave you alone.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- MP3Son of Sun "Feel Like I Feel (John Daly Remix)"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player