Papercuts You Can Have What You Want
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Gnomonsong
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
You Can Have What You Want is a daydream of a record—a hazy mix of L.A.’s early-’70s singer-songwriters and the Creation Records catalog, its 10 tracks held aloft by swaths of dusty organ and Jason Quever’s shimmering, reverb-drenched tenor. Papercuts’ third LP is very much a product of its influences—Grizzly Bear and Vetiver’s Andy Cabic are thanked in the liner notes, and Alex Scally of Beach House (with whom Papercuts have toured) helped out with the arrangements. Nevertheless, Quever carves out some room for himself away from the dream-pop masses. With a couple listens, the queasy melodies lurking around the edges of “The Machine Will Tell Us So” and “Dead Love” may never leave you alone.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player