Parts & Labor Mapmaker
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: JagJaguwar
Sounding enormous isn't necessarily about being enormous. Proof: Exactly three dudes comprise Brooklyn's Parts & Labor, but the 12 songs on their latest release-the fiery, frantic Mapmaker-manage to sound utterly massive. Thank the synergy-drummer Chris Weingarten's schizoid kit work is matched fit-for-fit by singer Dan Friel's bulging-neck-vein delivery, and his burring, whirring guitar. Together, there's an almost frightening amount of verve and dynamism. About three minutes into the aptly titled punk pummel "Fractured Skulls," Weingarten's hi-hats and snares gnash their teeth underneath a rousing synth-horn fanfare. The rest of the album falls in line behind these theatrics, each track exploding like a magnificent noise-pop firework display. It doesn't get much bigger than that.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player