Parts & Labor Mapmaker
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: JagJaguwar
Sounding enormous isn't necessarily about being enormous. Proof: Exactly three dudes comprise Brooklyn's Parts & Labor, but the 12 songs on their latest release-the fiery, frantic Mapmaker-manage to sound utterly massive. Thank the synergy-drummer Chris Weingarten's schizoid kit work is matched fit-for-fit by singer Dan Friel's bulging-neck-vein delivery, and his burring, whirring guitar. Together, there's an almost frightening amount of verve and dynamism. About three minutes into the aptly titled punk pummel "Fractured Skulls," Weingarten's hi-hats and snares gnash their teeth underneath a rousing synth-horn fanfare. The rest of the album falls in line behind these theatrics, each track exploding like a magnificent noise-pop firework display. It doesn't get much bigger than that.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
XLR8R Downloads Player