Pas Chic Chic Au Contraire
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Semprini
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
On first listen, Pas Chic Chic’s debut comes off as a lackluster take on vintage Francophone pop–all chirpy organ, martial percussion, and melodramatic tenors–like a poor man’s Stereolab. But after these tunes settle in, it’s clear that with ex-members of Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Fly Pan Am in tow, Montreal’s Pas Chic Chic has no intention of scoring your dinner party. Spooky static hugs every neat, right-angled melody; reverb envelops every bouncy synth. Occasionally, as on “Vous Comprenez Pourquoi,” Pas Chic Chic’s psychedelic dread bubbles over in a torrent of brittle organ and screaming mellotron. Beating just below Au Contraire’s smooth skin, is a wild, noisy heart.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player