Pas Chic Chic Au Contraire
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Semprini
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
On first listen, Pas Chic Chic’s debut comes off as a lackluster take on vintage Francophone pop–all chirpy organ, martial percussion, and melodramatic tenors–like a poor man’s Stereolab. But after these tunes settle in, it’s clear that with ex-members of Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Fly Pan Am in tow, Montreal’s Pas Chic Chic has no intention of scoring your dinner party. Spooky static hugs every neat, right-angled melody; reverb envelops every bouncy synth. Occasionally, as on “Vous Comprenez Pourquoi,” Pas Chic Chic’s psychedelic dread bubbles over in a torrent of brittle organ and screaming mellotron. Beating just below Au Contraire’s smooth skin, is a wild, noisy heart.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player