Pas Chic Chic Au Contraire
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Semprini
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
On first listen, Pas Chic Chic’s debut comes off as a lackluster take on vintage Francophone pop–all chirpy organ, martial percussion, and melodramatic tenors–like a poor man’s Stereolab. But after these tunes settle in, it’s clear that with ex-members of Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Fly Pan Am in tow, Montreal’s Pas Chic Chic has no intention of scoring your dinner party. Spooky static hugs every neat, right-angled melody; reverb envelops every bouncy synth. Occasionally, as on “Vous Comprenez Pourquoi,” Pas Chic Chic’s psychedelic dread bubbles over in a torrent of brittle organ and screaming mellotron. Beating just below Au Contraire’s smooth skin, is a wild, noisy heart.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player