Patrick Wolf The Magic Position
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Low Altitude
Few 23-year-olds can match pipes and world-weariness with Marianne Faithfull, but Brit crooner Patrick Wolf nearly does just that on "Magpie," a track from his stellar third album. The grim, piano- and string-drenched duet exemplifies Wolf's baroque-pop style, filled with bursting crescendos, orchestral swells, and anguished poetry. Wolf can channel Antony's drama, but his commanding delivery isn't nearly as fragile. And on cathartic stompers like "Get Lost" and the title track, he gets deliciously delirious. A few production tweaks let you know the album is of its time, but his words and delivery are timeless.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player