Pelican City of Echoes
- Words: Steve Marchese
- Label: Hydra Head
There is epic music and then there is epic music. Chicago instrumental quartet Pelican is proudly guilty of producing the latter, penning tunes so ambitious and triumphant that your everyday life seems insignificant in comparison. Simply put, they rock harder than similarly motivated Texans Explosions in the Sky and are more melodious and listenable than like-minded Japanese trio Boris. "Cinematic" is an understatement, unless your idea of movie night is 24 straight hours of Kurosawa and Peckinpah. And while City of Echoes occasionally shows their more temperate side, it is nonetheless a classic third album-coherent and explosive.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player