Pelican City of Echoes
- Words: Steve Marchese
- Label: Hydra Head
There is epic music and then there is epic music. Chicago instrumental quartet Pelican is proudly guilty of producing the latter, penning tunes so ambitious and triumphant that your everyday life seems insignificant in comparison. Simply put, they rock harder than similarly motivated Texans Explosions in the Sky and are more melodious and listenable than like-minded Japanese trio Boris. "Cinematic" is an understatement, unless your idea of movie night is 24 straight hours of Kurosawa and Peckinpah. And while City of Echoes occasionally shows their more temperate side, it is nonetheless a classic third album-coherent and explosive.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player