Pelican The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw
- Words: Steve Marchese
- Label: Hydra Head
Before metal hardens and becomes rigid and unyielding, there is a point during its manufacturing when it takes the form of a slowly moving, blistering liquid. This is the sound of Pelican. While comparisons to metal bands like Isis and Dysrhythmia are occasionally appropriate, this talented Chicago instrumental quartet fabricates a much thicker and melodic form of post-rock more akin to Austin‘s Explosions In The Sky and sometimes channeling the awesome guitar drone of short-lived Windy City heroes Hum ("Stars"). Marked by seven epic tracks of constantly morphing dynamics, The Fire in Our Throats... is yet another triumphant interpretation of classical music catered specifically for the aging mosh pit-and-devil-horns set.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player