Penny The Clockforth Movement
- Words: Jon Weldon
- Label: Plague Language
Penny fills an enormous void in hip-hop: sexy feminine lyricism that's as aggressive experimental as it is easily accessible. With a clean delivery like Ladybug from Digable Planets, she could just rely on the watery-smooth grain of her voice, yet she finesses the beat with all types of twisty intonations, changing paces with the quick flip of a word. Her style is steeped in Anticon weird abstraction-which, as always, teeters on falling flatly pretentious-but it's her matter-of-factness that suggests, like a DoseOne, she really might be that strange. Throw in some equally interesting Anticon-like production, and this Penny album is just about brilliant.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player