Penny The Clockforth Movement
- Words: Jon Weldon
- Label: Plague Language
Penny fills an enormous void in hip-hop: sexy feminine lyricism that's as aggressive experimental as it is easily accessible. With a clean delivery like Ladybug from Digable Planets, she could just rely on the watery-smooth grain of her voice, yet she finesses the beat with all types of twisty intonations, changing paces with the quick flip of a word. Her style is steeped in Anticon weird abstraction-which, as always, teeters on falling flatly pretentious-but it's her matter-of-factness that suggests, like a DoseOne, she really might be that strange. Throw in some equally interesting Anticon-like production, and this Penny album is just about brilliant.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
XLR8R Downloads Player