People Under the Stairs The Om Years/B-Sides and Rarities
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Om Hip-Hop
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Thes One and Double K are about some of the nicest guys you could meet–both a blessing and a curse. Their brand of Tribesque/Pharcydian hip-hop is so non-threatening, your grandmother could breakdance to it. PUTS’ lyrics lack any sense of menace whatsoever, and though both MCs can flow, the rhymes are frequently overshadowed by the funky beats. Still, as this double-disc of laid-back goodies–including “Invisible Blunt Roller,” “43 Labels I Like,” and “Code Check”–shows, these West Coast funk disciples and backpacker mainstays have built up an impressive resume. Their sample choices bespeak deep, deep crates, and their production work easily ranks up there with any of their L.A. underground cohorts.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player