People Misbegotten Man
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: I & Ear
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
The old friction between order and madness brilliantly shines on this New York duo's second album. Guitarist Mary Halvorson sings like a 1940s pop starlet reciting Burroughs in the shower while Kevin Shea's anti-rhythms hurl pots and pans at her. The contradiction is amusing but a raw creepiness arises on Misbegotten–it's heard in the way that Halvorson curls her wailing notes on the melodramatic "Interconnected Galaxalization," and on the raindrops 'n' lollipops ballad gone horribly wrong in "MySpace, O MySpace." Despite the fact that the People's sound grows homogenous at times, they still produce genuine Martian art here.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player