Pest Necessary Measures
- Words: Steve Nickolls
- Label: Ninja Tune
New Ninja five-piece Pest deliver their debut album, and despite the rumors, this is not nearly as groundbreaking or different as you'll be led to believe. Sounding like "mental" jazz-break-stealing magpies-but with live instruments-Pest take great delight in mangling grooves from funk, punk, and jazz into some unholy collage. This collage, though, bears all the hallmarks of someone constantly asking "wouldn't it be funny if..?" Which is all very well for a single, but doesn't work for a long player. Necessary Measures sounds like Coldcut in a bad mood, or possessed by an unexplainable fit of student japery, which is potentially interesting on paper, but less so in practice.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player