Peter Bjorn & John Writer's Block
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: Witchita-V2
For a second, let's just pretend Peter Bjorn & John's ubiquitous whistling song never existed. Without "Young Folks," Writer's Block would be another admittedly solid installment in the catalog of a Swedish post-twee band destined for also-ran status. But revisionism ain't for me. "Young Folks" is alive and well here, standing tall and proud over the rest of Writer's Block, its mere presence making the entire record stronger. But even though the single does its share of album-eclipsing, the rest of Writer's Block's 11 songs find Peter Moren, Bjorn Yttling, and John Eriksson at their creative best. From the reverbed rumbling of "Objects of My Affection" to the jangling plod of "Start to Melt," Writer's Block is filled with smartly written, immediately endearing indie pop.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player