Peter Bjorn & John Writer's Block
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: Witchita-V2
For a second, let's just pretend Peter Bjorn & John's ubiquitous whistling song never existed. Without "Young Folks," Writer's Block would be another admittedly solid installment in the catalog of a Swedish post-twee band destined for also-ran status. But revisionism ain't for me. "Young Folks" is alive and well here, standing tall and proud over the rest of Writer's Block, its mere presence making the entire record stronger. But even though the single does its share of album-eclipsing, the rest of Writer's Block's 11 songs find Peter Moren, Bjorn Yttling, and John Eriksson at their creative best. From the reverbed rumbling of "Objects of My Affection" to the jangling plod of "Start to Melt," Writer's Block is filled with smartly written, immediately endearing indie pop.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player