Phonique Good Idea
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Dessous
Berlin-based Phonique (a.k.a. Michael Vater) usually works with fellow producer Alex Kruger, but he brings in plenty of collaborators on his second album. Even with the added talent, this two-disc album never quite crosses the line from well done into excellent. The first disc features polished, pared-back house and electro, with detached vocals and subtle synth washes. The bonus disc isn't all that bonus: It lays down a steady groove but never goes anywhere interesting until the end... Too late. There's nothing here that's bad, and it's easy to imagine many of these tracks on the dancefloor. But there's a spark missing that ultimately gives the album a take-it-or-leave-it feel.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player