Phonique Good Idea
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Dessous
Berlin-based Phonique (a.k.a. Michael Vater) usually works with fellow producer Alex Kruger, but he brings in plenty of collaborators on his second album. Even with the added talent, this two-disc album never quite crosses the line from well done into excellent. The first disc features polished, pared-back house and electro, with detached vocals and subtle synth washes. The bonus disc isn't all that bonus: It lays down a steady groove but never goes anywhere interesting until the end... Too late. There's nothing here that's bad, and it's easy to imagine many of these tracks on the dancefloor. But there's a spark missing that ultimately gives the album a take-it-or-leave-it feel.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player