Phonique Good Idea
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Dessous
Berlin-based Phonique (a.k.a. Michael Vater) usually works with fellow producer Alex Kruger, but he brings in plenty of collaborators on his second album. Even with the added talent, this two-disc album never quite crosses the line from well done into excellent. The first disc features polished, pared-back house and electro, with detached vocals and subtle synth washes. The bonus disc isn't all that bonus: It lays down a steady groove but never goes anywhere interesting until the end... Too late. There's nothing here that's bad, and it's easy to imagine many of these tracks on the dancefloor. But there's a spark missing that ultimately gives the album a take-it-or-leave-it feel.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player