Pierre Bastien Pop
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Rephlex
Fifty-two-year-old composer/inventor Pierre Bastien wrenches sublime sounds out of automatons built from Meccano parts and catalyzed by electro-motors. He then arranges them into orchestras for highbrow dance troupes and adventurous home listeners. Bastien‘s m.o. on Pop is charmingly warped jazz exotica, like Matthew Herbert remixing a Raymond Scott/Martin Denny collaboration. Most of the tracks possess Herbert‘s knack for mantra-like rhythms, oddly busy percussion, and proto-electronic explorations through inner space. Pop‘s gently unhinged miniatures wouldn‘t sound out of place scoring Jan Svankmajer‘s grotesque, surreal animations.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player