Pigeon John ...And The Summertime Pool Party
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Quannum
If Pigeon John represents a "new generation of just regular dudes," then hip-hop is in for a promising future. While this Angeleno's last album, Pigeon John Sings The Blues, was heavy on self-deprecation, here he exudes pure confidence with producers RJD2, DJ Rhettmatic, and newcomers supplying the uptempo heat. On "Freaks! Freaks!" John tells females who paid him no mind, "It's the boy that you laughed at/Didn't give me a chance now I drive a Cadillac/So what, it's 12 years old/Baby, it's still cold." With his head held high, he humorously reflects on the many ways he's been fired ("I Lost My Job Again") and even grills God on why he let the world take a turn for the worse ("As We Know It"). Free of reservations, this regular dude brings forth his best album to date.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player