Pinback Nautical Antiques
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Ace Fu
Who knew machines could make such beautiful music? Even Pinback's rarities and b-sides, including the ones made between 1998 and 2001, collected here, have a crystalline grace to them. The fact that they were all created in garages and bedrooms is a finer validation of the internet age than anything else. Laptop-pop nuggets abound here, from the airy harmonies (and sampled kettle whistle) of "Anti-Hu" to Zach Smith's and Rob Crow's dexterous finger work on the online-only "Messenger." Like watching spider webs glitter in a synthetic sun.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player