Pinch Underwater Dancehall
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Tectonic
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Since the world heard the near-perfect “Qawwali” (re-imagined here as “Brighter Day” with vocals from Juakali) it’s been waiting for Bristol dubstep king Pinch’s full-length, and with Underwater Dancehall he delivers in spades. Pinch’s layered production soars on tracks like the shuffle-bump of “Get Up,” the tumbling percussion of “Lazarus,” and the epic “Angels in the Rain,” which features Indi Khur’s vocals. While occasionally the vocalists risk smothering the tracks’ intricacies, more often than not they support Pinch’s echoed snares, bubbling basslines, and scattershot, world-traveled sounds (for instrumental fans, check the bonus vocal-free versions disc). This is The Wild Bunch updated for ’08, with Pinch keeping the dancehall live.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player