Pink Mountaintops Outside Love
- Words: August Howard
- Label: Jagjaguwar
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Most musicians would be content with one critically adored project, but Canada’s Stephen McBean is no ordinary musician. While the stoner-rock-meets-black-metal stylings of Black Mountain grab most of the attention, McBean has been quietly building a solid catalog for his druggy Pink Mountaintops side project. Outside Love is the third Pink Mountaintops record, and it features more zoned-out, wall-of-sound production and songs suitable to be played in the aftermath of a long night of skuzzy partying. ’60s and ’70s psych is an obvious reference point, as are the dense soundscapes of Jason Spaceman. The only song perky enough to even be described as midtempo is “The Gayest Sunbeam,” yet Outside Love is a dirge worth exploring.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player