Pink Mountaintops Outside Love
- Words: August Howard
- Label: Jagjaguwar
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Most musicians would be content with one critically adored project, but Canada’s Stephen McBean is no ordinary musician. While the stoner-rock-meets-black-metal stylings of Black Mountain grab most of the attention, McBean has been quietly building a solid catalog for his druggy Pink Mountaintops side project. Outside Love is the third Pink Mountaintops record, and it features more zoned-out, wall-of-sound production and songs suitable to be played in the aftermath of a long night of skuzzy partying. ’60s and ’70s psych is an obvious reference point, as are the dense soundscapes of Jason Spaceman. The only song perky enough to even be described as midtempo is “The Gayest Sunbeam,” yet Outside Love is a dirge worth exploring.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
XLR8R Downloads Player