Plastic Little She's Mature
- Words: Stacey Dugan
- Label: Traffic
Plastic Little walks a fine line between making music and making comedy. That's not to say their brand of post-PC, ironic humor isn't palatable (entertaining, even)–you've just got to have the stomach for it. She's Mature sees them mocking everything from Afrocentrism to thug love-triangles and the Five-Percent ideology, to their own hipster scene, and they return often to their favorite themes: party crashing, pulling drunk chicks for one-night stands, and doing it all on a dime. While that's often amusing, the jokes have their flaws: Songs like "That's the Jump Off"–a rap explaining the phrase itself-come off like Urban Slang 101 for white folks. PL's at its best on bangers like "Another Rap Hit," which plays to the strengths of their sleazy, club-hollering lyricism ("Fellas, grab your big old dicks/Ladies, rub your wet-ass clits"), their intentionally foul sexual and racial politics, and their pared-down, slam-and-shuffle basslines.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player