Plej Electronic Music From the Swedish Leftcoast
- Words: Dan Sicko
- Label: Execeptional
Built on its bedrock of solid basslines, Plej (pronounced "play") builds jazz-house skyscrapers that hover playfully over the hard techno that has defined Sweden for a decade or so. Part of the Gothenburg ("Gonkyburg") scene, Arvid and Erik Niklasson perfectly complement the likes of Hollow Recordings, Swell Session and Dot label refugee Jonas Quant. In fact, it is Quant's quirky influence that makes for especially strong cuts like "Jabo's Night Out," where electro archetypes lunge forward. At times Plej flits a bit too close to the vocal-house sun, but otherwise successfully reaches the right heights. "
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player