Plej Electronic Music From the Swedish Leftcoast
- Words: Dan Sicko
- Label: Execeptional
Built on its bedrock of solid basslines, Plej (pronounced "play") builds jazz-house skyscrapers that hover playfully over the hard techno that has defined Sweden for a decade or so. Part of the Gothenburg ("Gonkyburg") scene, Arvid and Erik Niklasson perfectly complement the likes of Hollow Recordings, Swell Session and Dot label refugee Jonas Quant. In fact, it is Quant's quirky influence that makes for especially strong cuts like "Jabo's Night Out," where electro archetypes lunge forward. At times Plej flits a bit too close to the vocal-house sun, but otherwise successfully reaches the right heights. "
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player