- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: ~scape
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
With a damaged Waldorf Pole-4 audio filter Stefan Betke set about to produce three beautiful dub-tech albums. Acid rain-corroded basslines and ghostly synth chords barely arose from the grime and crackle of the Waldorf. It was a fitting soundtrack for the feared life after the Y2K meltdown. Now, Betke reissues those first three albums. The tepid and barrenly minimalist steps of his ’98 debut gradually progress to the oceanic digital-dub of his breakthrough album 3. Sure, years later, copycats have left these skeletal masterpieces feeling like well-worn jeans, but the tracks found herein represent a time when artists redefined what dub and minimal could be.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player