- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: ~scape
Nearly a decade ago, Stefan Betke (a.k.a. Pole) translated dub into a permanent midnight of Cold War ghosts drifting through the Berlin streets. In Steingarten, he crafts a bright, minimalist-funk suite that saunters along on eight legs, and often acts like it's being fried under a magnifying glass. "Jungs" is a kling-klang groove in an arson-lit disco, and "Madchen" has a dub rhythm that lurches forth with one eye over its shoulder, but the climax, "Düsseldorf," is a microhouse groove that actually smiles for just being alive. Steingarten makes Pole a standard from whom to steal ideas again.
- FeatureXLR8R's Best of 2014: Readers Poll
- FeatureXLR8R's Best of 2014: Releases (15 - 1)
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Midland, Nina Kraviz, our Best of 2014, and More
- MP3Rihanna "What's My Name? (Federation Remix feat. Vybz Kartel)"
- NewsWatch Mala Dig in John Peel's Record Collection
XLR8R Downloads Player