The Prefects Are Amateur Wankers
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Acute
The Prefects‘ most poignant moment is 13 seconds long. It was caught at a 2001 reunion gig where frontman Robert Lloyd mutters about running to the VD clinic; the rhythm section stumbles after him and before anyone figures out what‘s happening, the song ends. "VD" could summarize the band‘s legacy. The Prefects were Manchester blokes who cranked out a slightly autistic case of The Buzzcocks, earned The Clash‘s contempt, made no money, got bored and quit. However, this compilation of singles and unreleased tapes shows that the band deftly mastered the jagged and obtuse sound later tagged "post-punk." Thank goodness they were "amateur wankers."
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player