Prefuse 73 Surrounded By Silence
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Warp
What the fuck? Cheescake cover photo and MCs who cash checks from majors on a Prefuse 73 joint? Yep, Ghostface and GZA appear as do many sterling indie rappers (Beans, El-P, Aesop Rock) and musicians (Tyondai Braxton, The Books), but Surrounded By Silence is undeniably Prefuse 73‘s show. Scott Herren‘s orchestral, camera-shutter funk has become familiar, but it‘s still potent. "I‘ve Said All I Need To Say About Them Intro" kills it from the jump with astral-sexual, futuristic funk featuring warped vibes and smeared videogame FX. The rest of Silence finds Prefuse crafting both his most accessible tracks (Ghost/El-P-laced "Hideyaface" and the Camu-fronted "Now You‘re Leaving") and his weirdest ("Ty Versus Detchibe," "And I‘m Gone"). This is a brilliant culmination of Prefuse‘s career to date.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player