The Present World I See
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Loaf
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Rusty Santos, lauded producer of Animal Collective, Panda Bear‘s solo shot, and other underground gems, now delivers his own album, with aid from gifted musicians named Mina and Jesse. World I See consists of stardust textures, angel-wing breezes, hippo heartbeats, a finger-snapping concerto, and condemned-soul chants–among other unlikely elements. The disc’s haphazard psychedelic lavishness recalls Mercury Rev offshoot Harmony Rockets and bits of Goblin’s soundtracks for Italian horror-film maestro Dario Argento. Santos bathes World in a phantasmagorical, acidic sheen, favoring surprise over structure: quirkiness collides with creepiness, whimsy entwines with woozy. The Present spikes the air with a weird gas they call “music,” and intoxication results in those open to the joys of beneficent delirium.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player