The Presets Beams
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Modular
The Presets is the heady dancefloor project of Australians Julian Hamilton and Kimberley Moyes, who met while studying theory and music performance at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Beams, the duo's anticipated debut, is a broad but always danceable effort. From the dark-wave distortion of "Down Down Down" to the melodic synths of "Black Background," the record covers a lot of ground, and is tied together by the album's cinematic closer and title track. Their sound could use a little more focus, but Beams is still a respectable beginning for a promising group.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player