The Primeridian Da Mornin’ Afta
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: All Natural
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
The Primeridian is not the first American hip-hop act to work exclusively with European producers, but on Da Mornin’ Afta, this longstanding Chicago trio benefits from reaching across the pond. Granted, in connecting with overseas beatsmiths (Nicolay, Willowtreez, and others) Simeon, Tree, and Racetacula don’t step tremendously outside of their chill, contemporary Chicago style. Still, on these collaborations they noticeably have fun giving listeners that “real good feeling that evokes soul claps.” The DJ Steady-produced “takeuthere” is especially fresh; it's a melodic, cosmic cut that finds the Primeridian MCs effortlessly trading uplifting lines with Iomos Marad and Imani (of The Pharcyde). Despite the lack of surprises, this cross-continental LP is often a success.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player