Prinzhorn Dance School Prinzhorn Dance School
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: DFA-Astralwerks
Despite their name, Brighton, UK's Prinzhorn Dance School fits in the Black Dice camp of DFA bands that don't cause eruptive dance parties. The bass and guitar usually play the same staccato notes atop first-drum-lesson-style beats, while Tobin Prinz and Suzi Horn exchange vocals. One look at The Shaggs proves that poor instrumentation can work sometimes, but Prinzhorn Dance School's boring-for-the-sake-of-boring style exudes a cool hipster air that swallows their likeability. Sure, "Up! Up! Up!" is an okay knock-off of today's Dischord bands, and "Worker" makes the most out of its slow, brooding bassline, but this debut only works if you want to listen to the same idea for 42 straight minutes.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player