Quantec Unusual Signals
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Echocord
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
German producer Sven Schienhammer’s minimal dub-techno music draws from the spectral traditions of Pole, Monolake, Mike Ink, and Rhythm & Sound. And like J Dilla’s many copycat beat disciples, most recent dub-techno producers tend to sound like lame Maurizio knock-offs. Schienhammer’s recordings as Quantec, however, avoid clichés and add new ideas to the genre’s moody, muted formula. Layered ambient patterns are Schienhammer’s primary compositional tool. On “Iboga” various drifting melodies congeal like a dense fog with only a heartbeat kick drum to guide listeners through the ether. Long, decaying synth notes on “Yage” and dense, shoegazer-style tones on “Panaleous” invoke expansive natural landscapes. As electronic reverberations and pulses surge and fade, Unusual Signals will leave you pleasantly lost.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player