Quantec Unusual Signals
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Echocord
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
German producer Sven Schienhammer’s minimal dub-techno music draws from the spectral traditions of Pole, Monolake, Mike Ink, and Rhythm & Sound. And like J Dilla’s many copycat beat disciples, most recent dub-techno producers tend to sound like lame Maurizio knock-offs. Schienhammer’s recordings as Quantec, however, avoid clichés and add new ideas to the genre’s moody, muted formula. Layered ambient patterns are Schienhammer’s primary compositional tool. On “Iboga” various drifting melodies congeal like a dense fog with only a heartbeat kick drum to guide listeners through the ether. Long, decaying synth notes on “Yage” and dense, shoegazer-style tones on “Panaleous” invoke expansive natural landscapes. As electronic reverberations and pulses surge and fade, Unusual Signals will leave you pleasantly lost.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player