The Quantic Soul Orchestra Tropidelico
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Tru Thoughts
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
As Quantic, Brit DJ and producer Will Holland has already made his love of funk and soul clear. But with the Quantic Soul Orchestra that love comes through clearer still. The group, an all-live, no-sample project, has a big-band sound, with bright, brassy horns layered over conga-filled percussion breaks. Funk is the driving force, but there’s hip-hop (guest J-Live’s flow over “She Said What?”), soul (Noelle Scaggs singing over “Lead Us to the End”), and plenty of Latin touches (like the cumbia rhythm of “San Sebastian Strut”) as well. Most of the cuts here are instrumental, with an emphasis on grooves that cut to the bone. What’s not to love?
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player