The Quantic Soul Orchestra Tropidelico
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Tru Thoughts
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
As Quantic, Brit DJ and producer Will Holland has already made his love of funk and soul clear. But with the Quantic Soul Orchestra that love comes through clearer still. The group, an all-live, no-sample project, has a big-band sound, with bright, brassy horns layered over conga-filled percussion breaks. Funk is the driving force, but there’s hip-hop (guest J-Live’s flow over “She Said What?”), soul (Noelle Scaggs singing over “Lead Us to the End”), and plenty of Latin touches (like the cumbia rhythm of “San Sebastian Strut”) as well. Most of the cuts here are instrumental, with an emphasis on grooves that cut to the bone. What’s not to love?
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
XLR8R Downloads Player