The Quantic Soul Orchestra Tropidelico
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Tru Thoughts
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
As Quantic, Brit DJ and producer Will Holland has already made his love of funk and soul clear. But with the Quantic Soul Orchestra that love comes through clearer still. The group, an all-live, no-sample project, has a big-band sound, with bright, brassy horns layered over conga-filled percussion breaks. Funk is the driving force, but there’s hip-hop (guest J-Live’s flow over “She Said What?”), soul (Noelle Scaggs singing over “Lead Us to the End”), and plenty of Latin touches (like the cumbia rhythm of “San Sebastian Strut”) as well. Most of the cuts here are instrumental, with an emphasis on grooves that cut to the bone. What’s not to love?
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player