Qwel & Jackson Jones Dark Day
- Words: J. David Marston
- Label: Galapagos4
Rapper Qwel and beatsmith Jackson Jones have tailored an album that typifies Galapagos4‘s spirited releases. Qwel‘s raps are insightful and vigorous as ever, while Jones‘ melancholy beats are a perfect compliment. "Vincent Van Gogh Coke Ad" and "A Beautiful Thing" triumph as the album‘s finest moments. However, the project‘s gloomy nature grows unsettling midway through and is dead tiresome by the end. "Dark Day" and "Spit Your Lit" reflect effort, but are tedious downers, as is most of the project. Although Qwel and Jones are obviously sincere artists, Dark Day is simply an unmemorable listen.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player