Raashan Ahmad The Push
- Words: Zoneil Maharaj
- Label: Om Hip Hop
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
On his first solo venture, The Push, Raashan Ahmad uses his experience fronting the Crown City Rockers to return to the boom-bap basics of hip-hop. But it isn’t much of a departure from his work with that Bay Area-based live band. Keeping the same organic aesthetic and vibe, he employs his crewmates–along with DJ Vadim, Eligh, Descry and others–to produce an album that’s fun, personal, and, without being cheesy, true to hip-hop. The Push blends various influences, from the dancehall-inspired “City Feel Proud” to the retro soul of “The Crush.” Ahmad also gets personal on “Cancer,” rapping with so much despair about his mom’s passing that it sounds like he’s about to cry. This is what passion sounds like.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player