Rafter Music for Total Chickens
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Asthmatic Kitty
It's hard to pin down Rafter Roberts' new album; one moment it's filled with static, the next with mellow strings. It's an indie melange, with guitars, drums, sometimes-thin vocals, and other instruments twisting everywhere. Music for Total Chickens' schizophrenic sound is matched by its pace: 18 tracks totaling about 37 minutes. That brevity makes it hard for these tracks to dig into the lofty ambitions signaled by their titles ("hope," "tragedy," etc). Still, there's a sort of fragmented optimism here that gives the album warmth.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player