Rafter Sex Death Cassette
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Asthmatic Kitty
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
As a longtime producer, solo artist, and member of Sufjan Stevens' entourage, Rafter Roberts has kept a pretty low profile. Sex Death Cassette, his second solo record, will hopefully change this. Blanketing weird-pop gems in a wash of hazy production, Sex Death Cassette brings to mind summer vacations and afternoon naps. At 35 minutes, the record’s 19 tracks twist and turn between heartfelt serenades (“I Love You Most of All”), fuzzed-out pseudo-reggae (“LoveTimeNowPlease”), and progressive indie rock (“Chances”). Despite its disparity of genre, however, the songs are all united by Rafter’s incredible production skills, which alone are worth the price.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player