Rafter Sex Death Cassette
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Asthmatic Kitty
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
As a longtime producer, solo artist, and member of Sufjan Stevens' entourage, Rafter Roberts has kept a pretty low profile. Sex Death Cassette, his second solo record, will hopefully change this. Blanketing weird-pop gems in a wash of hazy production, Sex Death Cassette brings to mind summer vacations and afternoon naps. At 35 minutes, the record’s 19 tracks twist and turn between heartfelt serenades (“I Love You Most of All”), fuzzed-out pseudo-reggae (“LoveTimeNowPlease”), and progressive indie rock (“Chances”). Despite its disparity of genre, however, the songs are all united by Rafter’s incredible production skills, which alone are worth the price.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player