Rafter Sex Death Cassette
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Asthmatic Kitty
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
As a longtime producer, solo artist, and member of Sufjan Stevens' entourage, Rafter Roberts has kept a pretty low profile. Sex Death Cassette, his second solo record, will hopefully change this. Blanketing weird-pop gems in a wash of hazy production, Sex Death Cassette brings to mind summer vacations and afternoon naps. At 35 minutes, the record’s 19 tracks twist and turn between heartfelt serenades (“I Love You Most of All”), fuzzed-out pseudo-reggae (“LoveTimeNowPlease”), and progressive indie rock (“Chances”). Despite its disparity of genre, however, the songs are all united by Rafter’s incredible production skills, which alone are worth the price.
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player