Ragga Twins Ragga Twins Step Out
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Soul Jazz
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Blood brothers and mic partners Flinty Badman and Demon Rockers carved their dancehall toasting niche in British dance music years before drum & bass dons Dynamite MC and General Levy patented the style. This double-disc retrospective captures the Twins’ raw energy as U.K. breakbeat dawned in 1990. The pair worked with Shut Up and Dance producer P.J. Smiley, whose imaginative dancehall/rave hybrids backed hits like “Spliffhead” and “Illegal Gunshot.” As relentless as Jamaican DJs Cutty Ranks or Admiral Bailey, Badman and Rockers displayed their Unity reggae soundsystem roots on rapid-fire lyrical tracks like “Love Talk” or “Juggling.” Setting the stage for both jungle and dubstep, Ragga Twins deserve recognition and receive it properly on Step Out.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player