Ragga Twins Ragga Twins Step Out
- Words: Tomas Palermo
- Label: Soul Jazz
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Blood brothers and mic partners Flinty Badman and Demon Rockers carved their dancehall toasting niche in British dance music years before drum & bass dons Dynamite MC and General Levy patented the style. This double-disc retrospective captures the Twins’ raw energy as U.K. breakbeat dawned in 1990. The pair worked with Shut Up and Dance producer P.J. Smiley, whose imaginative dancehall/rave hybrids backed hits like “Spliffhead” and “Illegal Gunshot.” As relentless as Jamaican DJs Cutty Ranks or Admiral Bailey, Badman and Rockers displayed their Unity reggae soundsystem roots on rapid-fire lyrical tracks like “Love Talk” or “Juggling.” Setting the stage for both jungle and dubstep, Ragga Twins deserve recognition and receive it properly on Step Out.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player