Raglani Of Sirens Born
- Words: Joe Colly
- Label: Kranky
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Having self-released a string of experimental electronic recordings, Keith Fullerton Whitman protégé Joseph Raglani signed to Kranky–home to all that is good and droney–for Of Sirens Born, a majestic-sounding concept piece. The record follows closely to a seafaring theme (ie. “Rivers In” and “Perilous Straits”) and like a traveler washed ashore (also immortalized in a track name) in a foreign land, it explores the wonder and terror of unfamiliar territory. Songs swell and expand, revealing fresh layers as they progress; “Washed Ashore” toys with heavy distortion before returning to ambient textures. The album’s centerpiece is the 10-minute epic “The Promise of Wood and Water,” an intoxicated haze that brings to mind the far-off voices of distant cultures. Delicate and surreal.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player