Raglani Of Sirens Born
- Words: Joe Colly
- Label: Kranky
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Having self-released a string of experimental electronic recordings, Keith Fullerton Whitman protégé Joseph Raglani signed to Kranky–home to all that is good and droney–for Of Sirens Born, a majestic-sounding concept piece. The record follows closely to a seafaring theme (ie. “Rivers In” and “Perilous Straits”) and like a traveler washed ashore (also immortalized in a track name) in a foreign land, it explores the wonder and terror of unfamiliar territory. Songs swell and expand, revealing fresh layers as they progress; “Washed Ashore” toys with heavy distortion before returning to ambient textures. The album’s centerpiece is the 10-minute epic “The Promise of Wood and Water,” an intoxicated haze that brings to mind the far-off voices of distant cultures. Delicate and surreal.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player