Rechenzentrum Director's Cut
- Words: Philip Sherburne
- Label: Mille Plateaux
The pleasures in German multimedia collective Rechenzentrum's music aren't to be found in the structure-shifting, ambient dub-techno configurations long familiar from generations of German electronic music-but in the details, where pianos drizzle over grayscale waveform mountain ranges, rumbling bass wreaks seismic havoc, and scraps of melody flit across the sound field like radio transmissions in search of a way home. It sounds a bit like a distillation of the last five years of glitch techno-except, curiously, much better than the sum of its parts. There's a depth and a richness here that's absent from most laptop wankery; instead of silicon myopia, Rechenzentrum's perspective looks past the motherboard and out onto a world of startling life and color.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player