Red Snapper Red Snapper
- Words: Selena Hsu
- Label: Lo
Red Snapper's final album is warmer and considerably more mellow. The group flanks meaty, thick grooves with an upright bass that at times serves as a solid anchor and at others a quivering catapult. "Regrettable" is striped with deep-red shadings of piano, horns and strings. "Ultraviolet's" shifty, shuffling break gives way to a funkier 4/4, moving from its initial jazziness to twinklier techno, though the flip and slap of hand against bass remains audible. "Odd Man Out" slowly oozes juice, and by the time "Four Dead Monks," a live track, dissolves into applause at the end, there's no doubt this slab of Red Snapper is well-seasoned and well-done.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
XLR8R Downloads Player