- Words: Brigid Moore
- Label: Alpha Pup
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Leftfield pop veteran Nick Thorburn (alum of Unicorns, Islands, and Th’ Corn Gang) is back with a new project, this time with the help of Los Angeles-based hip-hop producer Daddy Kev. The album’s production was heavily influenced by the pair’s temporary tropical environs (the Maui coastline) and is subtly beautiful, full of steel guitars, ukuleles, minor keys, and melancholic arrangements. There are quite a few gems, including the hypnotizing “Body Heat” and the spooky and melodic “Hit and Run,” but Reefer’s beautiful, sinister vision suffers from a couple of surprisingly so-so remixes from Dntel and Flying Lotus.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- NewsGroundislava Details Upcoming LP for Friends of Friends
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player