The Residents The Voice of Midnight
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Mute
- XLR8R Rating: 4/10
These giant-eyeballed San Franciscans were once rock iconoclasts who brought back animal trophies and tall tales from alien worlds. Today, The Residents are a cute cult attraction that hides under the bed. The Voice of Midnight is a schlocky send-up of E.T.A. Hoffmann’s tale about the Sandman monster. It’s pure melodrama and The Residents are there to drop in tacky synthesizer strings and Aqua Net-huffing metal-guitar solos. Besides the Sandman’s guttural threats, the camp grows unbearable. Midnight could’ve had the sinister aura of last year’s Tweedles (a tale about a sexually depraved clown… don’t ask), but The Residents still play it too safe this time.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player