Ricardo Villalobos Salvador
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Frisbee Tracks
Villalobos is one of techno's most distinctive, innovative producers. This is apparent even from the eight early tracks (circa 1998-2001) gathered on Salvador. Villalobos is the thinking person's hedonist, the party animal's philosopher. His rep as a debauched DJ notwithstanding, Villalobos on wax is the master of the epic "ketamine house" style that endlessly fascinates. Although not as complex and psychotropic as his later work, Salvador's tracks move with sidewinder stealth, trickily shimmying toward paradise swathed in intriguing textures. Villalobos imbues even his poppiest moments with a melancholy paranoia and an ominous thrust that suggest tense chase scenes more than sweet dancefloor release.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player